Kenick El Human Rights Awards Ceremony
Thursday, April 5, 2018
After much deliberation and discussion, the commission selected 10 honorees, whose efforts to promote cultural diversity, social awareness, equal opportunity, and human rights in our community, exemplified the theme: Diverse Community, One Humanity.
This year’s honorees are:
- Community Outreach Program VBUMC
- Hampton Roads Heroin Working Group
- I Need A Lighthouse
- El Kenick
- Bobby Melatti
- Barbara Unkle
- Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art
- Todd Walker, who will receive the Daniel M. Stone Humanitarian Award
- Marie Culver, who will receive the Meyera E. Oberndorf Human Rights for Achievement in Government Award
- Roark Corson, who will receive the Helen P. Shropshire Human Rights Youth Award
Honorees’ photographs and biographies are available upon request.
The Virginia Beach Human Rights Commission advocates for the human rights of City residents by providing educational programming, public forums and assistance to those whose rights may have been violated. For more information, call (757) 385-1158.
Back Row: Todd Walker, Kenick El, Christina Pullen, Roark Corson, Kathleen Wakefield, and Laura Beth Lawver. Front Row: Mary Culver, Jennifer Vaughan, Heidi Kulberg, Carolyn Weems, Barbara Unkle, Alison Byrne, and Debi Gray. (Not Pictured: Bobby Melatti)